Evelyn was a retired explorer and an old colleague of Cassandra Morgan. While she only appeared for a moment in Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, she played an important part in both Sam and Nathan Drake's life.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
In her youth, Evelyn was a celebrated historian, featured on magazines and having a vast collection of artifacts and relics. She eventually married a Japanese archaeologist named Kenichiro Namba, with whom she had a son, Edmund, before separating. Evelyn's dedication to her field pushed her away from her family, especially her son. When Evelyn did not show up for Kenichiro's funeral, Edmund cut off contact with her and ignored her attempts to reconcile.
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End[edit | edit source]
Evelyn bought Cassandra's journals in an auction after Cassandra died. Later, Samuel and Nathan Morgan broke into her house hoping to find their mother's things, sneaking through her mansion. After the two brothers found what they were looking for, Evelyn appeared and held them at gunpoint, and told them that she had already called the police.
Sam covered Nathan to protect him and tried to bargain with the old lady. He offered to stay if Nathan would be allowed to leave. Sam accidentally revealed that they were in fact Cassandra's sons, and this convinced Evelyn to lower her gun. After telling the boys about their mother and giving their mother's journal to Nathan, the police arrived outside.
Evelyn promised to deal with the police, but fell unconscious before she could leave the room. The boys then escaped the mansion and the police.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Evelyn briefly wielded a Jackal — this is the first and only time it's seen in singleplayer.
- Evelyn appears to be an homage to Lara Croft, the titular character of the Tomb Raider franchise.
- In her house, she is seen on a cover of a magazine with a title reading, "The Treasure of Xian." Lara sought the Dagger of Xian in Tomb Raider II.
- Interestingly, Uncharted series creator Amy Hennig worked at Crystal Dynamics prior to joining Naughty Dog. After her departure from Crystal Dynamics, they were put on developing the Tomb Raider series, after the failure of Tomb Raider: the Angel of Darkness.
- Similar to Cassie Drake, Evelyn was originally going to be a male. When the game director Neil Druckmann introduced the character to the lead character concept artist at Naughty Dog, she asked him "what if it was a woman?", the team then changed Evelyn's gender as that wouldn't "affect or change anything".
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Stills[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Uncharted 4 Director Says They Had To Ask One 'Sexist Focus Tester' To Leave | Kotaku Druckmann: "Initially, in the epilogue, it was Nate’s son. Something similar happened with the mansion they go into. That was an old English guy’s house. She asked, Well, what if it was a woman?"